Tuesday, July 08, 2008

To Teachers

This song was sent to me by Freeda Goldman. She wrote it for a teacher who helped her through a hard time.

(to:shema [shwekey])

I leave the classroom, "thanks goodbye",
see the worry in your eyes
you can't approach,
is there what to say..
with a heart locked up in a wall of stone
to cover up the stress at home
here I sit in your class each day..

In the shadows, I sit in back
Life's confusing
So much looks black
Yet some people linger
They show me a kind face
Help me out, wrap me in an embrace....

(chorus) you watch,
don't know what to do...
know that I also
am confused too
I long to learn, to participate,
just know that it's not your class I hate
Teacher it's all right,
It's not about you

I wait for these times to pass
So I can reapply myself to the tasks
Of a normal student with a normal home...
I travel far in my mind
To find a place where all is kind
Perhaps there I won't feel so alone

My heart will warm,
And melt the cold
"all is well" I'll finally be told
"Hashem above" I cry out
"Please help me get through
Only You can help me, only You"

(chorus) you watch,
don't know what to do...
know that I also
am confused too
I long to learn, to participate,
just know that it's not your class I hate
Teacher, it's all right,
It's not about you

So from afar, you watch me
This is the way, it has to be
but don't worry,
I know you're there
It means a lot for me to know
You care about me and so
Please overlook my behavior and blank stares

My heart will warm,
And melt the cold
"all is well" I'll finally be told
Teacher, please understand,
I feel torn in two
I can't but want, to listen to you....

(chorus)you watch,
don't know what to do...
know that I also
am confused too
I long to learn, to participate,
just know that it's not your class I hate
Teacher it's all right,
It's not about you

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a lot being said here.
As a teacher (for grades ranging from grades 5- 10) over the past few years, I know how important it is for teachers and principals to understand this point:
There may be reasons in a student's personal life which don't allow her to be a "student" which she so badly wants, to feel normal... (Usually there is something happening at home.)
As a teacher, do not take it personally! Even if you are not aware of what exactly is happening, try to be sensitive while the student is going through a hard time- your student will be grateful, and understanding during this difficult time is all that's needed.
Teachers generally like their students to do well "for them" so it may be hard, especially if the student is not- can not!- be forthcoming about details- but you are doing something special. This is what true teaching is about.

Anonymous said...

OMG I love it. Any teacher can identify with this student. They're all over the place. I as a teacher often feel like I'm treading really deep water...
I got a letter from "such a student" on the last day of school saying how she appreciates everything I did for her all year. She makes me cry, and I thought of her when I saw this song. It's so important to remember that our students have lives!

itsagift said...

This reminds me of the one you wrote in high school that is a parody to "Moishe Online" from Destiny...

Anonymous said...

Let's see it!

Freeda said...

it's the first time I shared this publicly. Thanks for all your positive feedback
I sang this to my teacher in middle of the year. Now that the year's over, I just wrote her a thank you poem and I plan on giving her the song, (I photoshopped it all fancy) in a frame, tzipi's idea.

Unknown said...

This touched me so much, as I went through a horrible childhood. Most of my teachers didn't realize anything:(